What is the McPherson Chamber of Commerce?
For some people, we are the yellow pages and the information center for the community and its opportunities. We are also an organization that unites businesses, professionals and community civic minded individuals in an effort to expand the economy of the area.
- advocates the interests of business, by providing members with education and resources, and encouraging mutual support.
- provides marketing opportunities for members to promote themselves.
- offers numerous programs aimed at helping members grow and develop personally and professionally.
- helps foster a business climate in which all can benefit from the knowledge and experience of the membership.
- is the vehicle that brings people and resources together to accomplish what no one business could do alone.
- addresses concerns of the community while continuing traditional programs and activities that create networking and promotional opportunities for its members.
- is a 501C 6: A non profit member driven organization of more than 400 businesses, organizations, professionals, and individuals.
Visionary leadership promoting a vibrant business community and enhanced quality of life.
How is the McPherson Chamber of Commerce financed?
The Chamber is funded by voluntary member investments based on a fee schedule. Investments are tax-deductible and recognized by the IRS as a legitimate business expense, not as a charitable contribution. It is also supported by two fundraising events, the Tartan Turkey Golf Tournament and Chamber Challenge.
Who are the Chamber Board of Directors?
The 12 member board of directors consists of representatives of various membership categories. The board meets monthly to review operations, initiatives and goals to meet the needs of our members and the community. Click the links to view the 2021-2022 Chamber Board and Chamber Staff.
Did you know… that your McPherson Chamber
Provides Business Connections
- Ribbon cuttings-to celebrate new or expanded local member businesses.
- Chamber Coffees-network every week and learn about other members as they showcase their products and services or organization; 9:30a.m. to 10:30a.m. every Thursday.
- Committees-share the interest of other Chamber members by working side by side to address community concerns, create member benefits and opportunities.
- Leadership McPherson -an experience that is not like any workshop or seminar. Learn leadership skills that can be used in the workplace, home and community. Developing leaders for the future of McPherson.
- Annual Events-Rural Appreciation Picnic, Chamber Classic Golf Tournament, Farm Forum, Annual Meeting, Women’s Chamber Trip, Men’s Chamber Trip, Legislative Meet & Greet, Leadership Alumni events – all opportunities to make connections.
Promotes members through Chamber Communications
- Weekly e-newsletter keeps everyone informed of chamber and member happenings, new member introductions, a weekly member spotlight and best of all-reaches over 1200 members + Facebook followers.
- Chamber Business Journal monthly newsletter with Chamber highlights, calendar and new member introductions. Published by the McPherson Sentinel and distributed to 5,000+ subscribers. Also archived for all to see on the Chamber Website.
- Facebook posting of event reminders and photos of special events-engaging the Facebook audience.
- Chamber Website member directory listing and direct links to your business. Chamber calendar and current news postings …a great tool for learning about the community.
- “Welcome to McPherson” gift bags -be the first to introduce information to new residents about your products and service-a great way to welcome new people.
Raises Scholarship Funds
Since 2000, the McPherson Chamber Agriculture Committee has partnered with Agriculture Future of America to support AFA academic and leaders development scholarships. The $4,450 full scholarship includes a $3,200 academic scholarship and tuition to the AFA Leaders Conference (worth $1,250).
Offers Education Classes & Seminars
The Chamber organizes programs and seminars each year that are relevant to the growth and success of business and for professional development of members and their employees.
Partners to Promote McPherson
The Chamber is the front door to the community and helps connect visitors and new residents or prospective businesses with what McPherson has to offer. We partner with Main Street to create the official McPherson Community Magazine and collaborate to promote the community with the Holiday Promotion. The TV marketing tool “McPherson is Open for Business” is made possible by the Chamber and Main Street.
Encourages New Business Start-Ups & Expansions
The McPherson County E-Community Program has provided funding for start-up, entrepreneurial development, retention and expansion for businesses. Since 2011 the McPherson County E-Community has approved 57 low interest loans totaling $2,143,391. That amounts to a lot of local jobs and community growth!
Supports Programs & Initiatives
Introduced students to business/industry through presentations at Central Christian College, McPherson College and McPherson High School business classes, promote recruiting from local colleges to provide workforce and serve on HCC Advisory Board and USD 418 Superintendent Committee as well as being a judge for the first Jump Start Kansas High School Entrepreneur Contest hosted by McPherson College.
Contributes to Community Development
- Work in conjunction with McPherson Industrial Development Co. to achieve the goals of the McPherson Economic Development Strategic Plan-Serve as Chair for the MIDC Entrepreneurship Action Group Committee.
- Serve on the GoMcPherson Board, and continue to support their marketing and recruitment goals to retain young families and recruit employees.
- Belong to McPherson Area Human Resource Group to stay informed of the industry needs.
- Serve on the Main Street, MIDC & CVB board as an advisory member. Volunteer for their events.
- Provide Candidate Forums to develop an informed electorate. Organized by the Chamber BAM Committee.
- Utilize the services and resources of the McPherson County Small Business Development Co. and the Kansas Small Business Development Center for business counseling and assistance.
- Continue to work with Main Street, McPherson Housing Coalition, MIDC, GoMcPherson, McPherson CVB, City and County reguarding local policy’s that maximize business opportunities and workforce housing.
Your Chamber is always planning and investing for the growth and future of McPherson!