28 Jan Member Spotlight- Women and Children Combating Cancer (WACCC)
No one fights alone! With the caring volunteers of the Women and Children Combating Cancer organization reaching out to make a difference, 92 families have received grant funds and combat bags. Grant funds are available through an endowment fund started in 2005 at the McPherson County Community Foundation for any woman or child in McPherson County undergoing cancer treatment or recovery. They are confidential grants that are made available from donations and WACCC fundraisers and can be used for medical expenses, to purchase a wig, fuel, household expenses or whatever is needed. Combat bags are care packages that are filled with items specific to the recipient such as items for their hobbies or sports teams they enjoy, gift cards for gas and favorite restaurants; each one customized to show we care. Please help WACCC connect with those in need by sharing this information, visit with a committee member or send an email to email@example.com to find out more.
The WACCC organization was created years ago in the McPherson community with a different name and some different events but continues to focus on helping local women and children in McPherson County. Mark your calendar for these yearly events:
- Pink Game-February 12, 2019 at MHS. WACCC partners with McPherson County schools during basketball games to raise awareness of breast cancer and honor all those affected by cancer.
- City-Wide Garage Sale- June 7 & 8, 2019. Fundraiser organized by WACCC with advertising benefits and maps distributed to hundreds of bargain shoppers.
- Farkel 4 A Cause-April 13, 2019 at Trinity Lutheran Church. This easy-to-learn game is fun for the whole family, while silent auction items bring in additional funds for grants. *Donations of silent auction items are much appreciated!
- Mammo-Ammo- 2019 Date TBD. Since 2015, Mammo Ammo has provided 313 free mammograms by bringing in a mobile mammogram coach. Early detection saves lives.
- Crawl 4 Cancer-2019 Date TBD. Evening event, participants must be 21 years of age. Visit several locations downtown, enjoy the comradery, learn WACCC facts, receive a souvenir cup and chance to win prizes.
You can help WACCC support LOCAL families that are combating cancer by spreading the word, attending events, volunteering at the events or donating to WACCC. See the 2019 WACCC fundraising event sheet and like WACCC on Facebook to stay informed. See photos from the 1.24.19 Chamber Connections on the Chamber Facebook page.