29 Dec Chamber Ag Committee Partners with AFA to offer Scholarship
Thinking about a career in Agriculture? Ready to activate your leader potential? Need help paying for college? The McPherson Chamber of Commerce Ag committee has partnered with Agriculture Future of America to offer a leader and academic scholarship to McPherson County graduating high school seniors pursuing a four-year degree in an agriculture related field. This award includes an academic scholarship as well as sponsorship to the AFA Leaders Conference.
AFA scholarship requirements include:
• Passion and commitment toward agriculture’s future
• Applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher at the time of selection. Students must remain in good academic standing with their college or university in order to access the scholarship funds.
• Students must be enrolled in, or enrolling in, an agriculture-related, four-year degree program.
• Completion of AFA on-line scholarship application (due March 20th)
• Interview process with community partner
• Full participation in the AFA Leaders Conference (November 5-8, 2015 in Kansas City, Mo.)
To access the application, please visit AFA online at www.agfuture.org/scholarships
Scholarship recipients will be selected on the basis of career vision and goal, leader and community involvement, and financial need. On-line applications are due Friday, March 20th, 2015. For more information contact Jennifer Burch, McPherson Chamber of Commerce, at 620-241-3303.
The Chamber Agriculture Committee has provided 21 scholarships and 8 additional Leaders Conference sponsorships since 2001. The McPherson County wide scholarship fund is comprised of county-wide donations, proceeds from the Farm Forum and the When Pigs Fly BBQ Contest & Fly In. In addition to the AFA scholarship match, the McPherson Chamber of Commerce Agriculture Committee has established an endowment “Tom Hunter AFA Scholarship Fund” at the McPherson County Community Foundation to assist in funding the annual scholarship.