Jun 19, 2012 Chamber Committee Updates
• Working on the planning for the 41st Annual Rural Appreciation Hamburger Feed, scheduled for July 31 at the 4-H grounds.
• The When Pigs Fly Committee began meeting in January for the planning of the When Pigs Fly BBQ contest & Fly In scheduled for August 24 & 25 at the McPherson Airport. Events already schedulee include Petty Cash on Friday night, Pony Rides, Farm Maze, Farm Zoo (Friday & Saturday), Saturday begins with Kiwanis breakfast, EAA Young Eagles FREE Plane Rides (7-18 years), Powered Parachutes, State Fair Pomander’s Square Dance Club, KCBS BBQ Contest, Lunch will be served by the Real Pitts BBQ. More details to come.
• $3,200 scholarship was awarded to Jamie Bergstrom of Lindsborg and a $1,000 scholarship was awarded to Lance Schroeder to attend Leadership Conference. These awards were made possible by the net proceeds of the When Pigs Fly BBQ Contest & Fly In.
Leadership Board of Trustees
• Recently sent out survey to past Leadership McPherson graduates to gather information on programing requests & leadership topics for alumni.
• 2012 Leadership McPherson Class has 11 class participants. A news release will be prepared for the announcement. All class sessions have been filled and will be facilitated by past Leadership McPherson Class members.
YP MAC Committee
• Working on a survey to those who have attended past YPMAC events – would like input on ideas of future gatherings and expectations. Upcoming events are listed on the YPMAC page https://mcpchamber.wpengine.com/about/yp-mac/ and Facebook
Women’s Event Committee
• The destination for the 2012 trip will be Seattle, Washington. Find trip details here https://mcpchamber.wpengine.com/2012/05/chamber-ladies-traveling-to-seattle-washington/
• Looking at possible day trip to Wichita for a Cocoa Dolce Artisan Chocolate Tour.
Community Development Committee
• Will meet again in August
Business And Membership Committee (BAM!)
• Will meet to review all the candidates for the election to see about the need for planning a Candidate Forum.
• Conducted a groundbreaking ceremony for the McPherson Museum and Arts Foundation on June 15, at 4:00
• A ribbon cutting ceremony is scheduled on June 21st at 9:30 for Robertson Chiropractic Center in celebration of their new location.
• Committee continues to make member visits, but with only 6 Ambassadors it is difficult to cover much ground. Would like to get more businesses interested in encouraging and supporting a staff member to volunteer for an Ambassador position.
Chamber Board of Directors
• Working on drafting a Social Media policy
• Researching options for advertising on Chamber website.
• Updates from the Directors report was given
• Serving as Chairman of the Entrepreneurship Action Committee which is researching Angel Investor programs, collecting all necessary entrepreneurship resources in one stop location, looking at high school entrepreneurship curriculum and planning of classes related to business startups, etc.
• A group met to discuss the lack of rental property available for some of the industries new hires that are coming directly out of college. Some of the group members will make contacts regarding apartment building options. Local apartments have indicated they are full and are taking names for waiting list.
• A membership survey has been sent out to help board gather information about areas of focus for the 2012-2013 year.
• The board reviewed the 2011-2012 Chamber Initiatives and will be going over them in more detail at the June meeting when incoming board members will be invited to participate.
• Will be conducting new board orientation for new board members
• The last session of the 2012 Chamber Academy was on June 8th.
E-Community Loan Committee
• Have received several inquiries about the program- have met with two new business prospects
• A loan will be reviewed on July 1.
Tartan Turkey Golf Tournament Committee
• Organized a successful golf tournament on June 9th with 35 teams. Click here for team results. https://mcpchamber.wpengine.com/calendar/tartan-turkey-golf-tournament/